Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Arrival in Mexico

Hi Kids,

So I arrived safely in Monterrey. Stopped over in Dallas-Fort Worth. That was an experience all unto itself. The amount of delicious food places to eat in that airport paired with its brand new renovation and plasma screens everywhere made my eyes boggle.

I met a girl in the Dallas airport who was heading to the same program as me! That was kinda cool. She has a friend who just graduated from University here, so she invited me out to go out to the graduation party they're having Thursday. Sweet.

We got picked up by a charter bus sent by Tec, which was great. Driving along the highway from the airport you really noticed the poverty though. Monterrey is the third largest city in Mexico and it's the second largest business hub (after Mexico City). Along the highway we saw tons of industrial plants.

We drove past a gas station and there was this sign on the side of the road:


It means no estacionarse (no parking). I laughed partially cuz at first I didn't realize what the heck it meant and then it suddenly came to me (oh yeah, it looks just like a no parking sign...) and partly cuz it kinda reminded me of the Engineering E at UBC... muahahaaa...

Orientation is all this week. Classes begin on Tuesday after a formal introduction and gathering on Monday. Friday night we're having a bit of a gala with the international students that should be fun.

Met a lot of people today. There's a huge group of about 15 here from Georgia Tech.

Probably going to go to the rez pool after my hour-long orientation tomorrow... :D